General Music Cataloging
- Music Cataloging at Yale, compiled by Michelle Koth http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/musicat.htm
[giant clearinghouse of music-specific cataloging information and training materials, has been updated to include RDA info.]
- Describing music materials: a manual for descriptive cataloging of printed and recorded music, music videos, and archival music collections, 3rd ed. / Richard P. Smiraglia. Lake Crystal, Minn.: Soldier Creek Press, 1997. Complete text online (pdf) on author’s site
- Cataloger’s judgment: music cataloging questions and answers from the Music OCLC Users Group newsletter / Jay Weitz. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2004.
Giant FAQ and mini-lessons, indexed by topic, MARC tag, AACR2 rule.
- Music Cataloging Bulletin [published by MLA] https://www.areditions.com/mcb/MCB_List.html
New/changed subject headings; music name/uniform title changes; BCC, ALCTS, LC reports.
- NACO-Music Project http://www.musicoclcusers.org/NMP/index.html
- Notes for Music Catalogers: Examples Illustrating AACR2 in the Online Bibliographic Record / Ralph Hartsock. Lake Crystal, Minnesota: Soldier Creek Press, 1994.
350 pages of examples of 5xx notes for printed music and sound recordings, with relevant AACR2/LCRIs
- Uniform Titles for Music / Michelle Koth. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2008. Use with “Types” document: Types of compositions for use in music uniform titles : a manual for use with AACR2 Chapter 25.
Online reference sources for catalogers
- AllMusic Guide – good for jazz & popular, tracing songwriters, album dates, biographies and subject entries.
- Internet Broadway Database – like IMDB but for musicals
- Grove Music Online (Oxford Music Online) – the gold standard for verifying biographical information, dates, work numbers, collected editions, but requires subscription
- Dolmetsch online – has an online music dictionary, information about music theory, instrument guide, etc. Useful if you don’t have access to Grove.
- Best Practices for Music Cataloging Using RDA and MARC21 [draft, Feb. 2013], prepared by the RDA Music Implementation Task Force, Bibliographic Control Committee, Music Library Association http://bcc.musiclibraryassoc.org/BCC-Historical/BCC2013/RDA_Best_Practices_for_Music_Cataloging.pdf
- Hit the Ground Running! RDA Training for Music Catalogers http://guides.library.cornell.edu/MLARDA2013
[originally was just set up with homework & guides for the RDA preconference at this year’s MLA, but is being left up and augmented as an ongoing clearinghouse for RDA music training materials.]
- RDA Music-Related Revisions [recently approved, will be integrated into RDA Toolkit in July 2013.] https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Yx3A9hZa6hSnFNVGVkU0FZNFU/edit
- Paradis, Daniel. RDA and Music: An Overview of the Differences from AACR2. Presentation at IAML, June 29, 2010. http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/6828/1/RDA_and_music_%28IAML%29%28with_examples%29_Oct._2010.pdf